Think 'bread meets pizza' - with a touch of Sunny Mummy, obviously!
Last week in another week of lockdown, home alone with the kids - it was lunch time. I looked in the cupboard and realised that we basically didn't have any food left in the house. I am the oldest of four children and my mum is half Croatian. I grew up eating Mediterranean inspired foods. Suddenly, I had a flash back of me as a little girl watching my mum staring in to an empty fridge - wondering what the heck she was going to feed us?! Luckily I also enjoyed watching my Mum make something out of nothing! That is one of her super powers for sure! Over the years, I have developed some of her skills too! SO, I saw that I had exactly the left overs I needed to make... FOCACCIA!
Boost Me! Focaccia
1 mug (200ml) of warm water
1 tsp sugar (helps to activate the yeast)
1 sachet of instant yeast
2 mugs of wholemeal flour
6 teaspoons of Boost ME!
1 small brown onion
1/2 jar black olives
1/2 jar sun dried tomatoes
cherry tomatoes in half
1/2 cup grated cheese
(or what ever Italian inspired left-overs you have in the fridge)
1. Warm your oven to 200c.
2. In a large bowl, add warm water, sugar and yeast, mix until dissolved.
3. Add the flour and Boost Me! to the water and kneed well to form a dough. Tip: if the dough is too sticky, add a handful of extra flour at a time, if the dough is too dry add a splash of water until the dough is at the right consistency.
4. Form a ball and place the dough back into the bowl. Cover the bowl with cling wrap and set aside in a warm dry place to rise for 30 minutes.
5. In the mean time, prepare your toppings.
6. Once the dough has risen, line a oven tray with baking paper and form a oval shape with your dough. The dough should be about 4cm thick.
7. Add your toppings to the top of the dough.
8. Bake in a hot oven for 30 minutes.
9. Serve once warm.
(Tip: Keeps in an airtight container for 2 days)